Is Birth Photography Allowed During the Virus?
As you can imagine, for the safety of everyone involved, I am not photographing any births at this time, but will return to photographing birth and newborns as soon as it is safe to do so. I know this is disappointing for many people, myself included, but we must do what is best for our community. I have gathered some great resources for those of you who are expecting.
St. Joseph’s Visitor Policy During the Outbreak
I know that these are unusual and trying times for all of us right now. I have seen many articles circulating about partners and support people not being allowed at births. I want to reassure you that St. Joseph’s is still allowing support people. I spoke with one of their labor and delivery nurses recently asking about the current visitor policy and she sent this link.
To summarize quickly St. Joseph’s Childbirth Center is taking the following precautions:
- We have a separate entrance from the rest of the hospital.
- ▪ We have limited visitation to 1 primary support person to minimize the opportunity for exposure by having too many people in the building.
- ▪ We offer the primary support person three meals a day to limit the need to go in/out of the hospital.
- ▪ We screen ALL caregivers, visitors, and patients for any sign of illness.
- ▪ Our Childbirth Center Nursing Staff ONLY work in the center; they do not work in any other part of the hospital.
You can read St. Joseph’s full statement here.
Great Resources from Doulas of Bellingham
Doulas of Bellingham has some great resources, as always. Go ahead and check out their posts 4 Ways to Prepare for Labor While Social Distancing and How to Throw a Virtual Baby Shower.
Other Resources for Pregnant Women During the Virus
Pregnancy and Breastfeeding recommendations during the virus from the CDC.
You can still take your childbirth classes, you just may need to take them virtually.
Find some local support groups online. Facebook is full of due date groups. I know my own daughters have found amazing support (and friends) through these groups.
We are a strong community and will come through this together! I am eager to get back to documenting the lives of my precious families. Stay home and keep safe.